June 03, 2014

Music: My Top 10 Arctic Monkeys Songs (In No Particular Order)


I went to go and see the Arctic Monkeys the other weekend and let me tell you now they were earth shatteringly, heart stoppingly, boner inducingly UNREAL. 

While I recovered from the sheer awesomness (and the Strongbow and gin) I got to thinking about all the Arctic Monkeys music and basically just how good it all is. So I set myself a little challenge, pick my 10 best Arctic Monkeys songs and write about it. So here it is, my Top 10 Arctic Monkeys Songs (In No Particular Order) (because if I'd had to order them I think my head would have exploded).

No. 10 - Teddy Picker 





From it's jagged intro to it's energetic and painfully catchy hook, I bum this song. I struggle to put my finger right on why. The guitar work is lively and when it was released it was a slightly different style for them to take. Let's have a game on the teddy picker...

Favourite lyrics: "Assuming that all things are equal, who'd want to be men of the people, when there's people like you?"


No. 09 - Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair 





The heavy bass line mixed with the almost duelling banjos style intro set this song apart for me from the start. The lyrics are just ludicrous enough while at the same time inspired. A tour de force of different ways of saying people are taking a risk. 

Favourite lyrics: "Fill in a circular hole with a peg that's square, but just don't sit down 'cause I've moved your chair"

No. 08 - Fluorescent Adolescent 




A painfully obvious one. An unbelievably catchy ode to lost youth and forgotten dreams. Simple yet effective drumming and guitar playing underpins meaningful lyrics about shagging, how your life was and what it has now become. It also featured shit loads on The Inbetweeners which, in my opinion, is one of the single best TV shows ever made. 

Favourite lyrics: "Clinging to not getting sentimental, said she wasn't going but she went still, likes her gentlemen not to be gentle, was it a Mecca Dobber or a betting pencil?"

No. 07 - R U Mine? 



Words can't really describe this song. It grabs you by the bollocks from the first note and only lets you go when it has had its dirty way with you. Just listen to that drumming, that's what I imagine a stampede of Godzillas sounds like. And that sexy little guitar interlude in the middle? Perfectly timed and delivered. By the time it's over you feel tired, disoriented but most importantly, fulfilled. 

Favourite lyrics: "And I go crazy 'cause here isn't where I wanna be, and satisfaction feels like a distant memory, and I can't help myself, all I wanna hear her say is "Are you mine?"

No. 06 - From The Ritz To The Rubble 





The phronetic build of blues heavy bassline mixed with Alex Turners distinct Sheffield twang make this, for me, one of the Arctic Monkey's most iconic tunes. It's almost euphoric in its build, drop, build rhythm. Smashing symbols and masterful guitar work combined. 

Favourite lyrics: "They want arms flying everywhere and, bottles as well it's just, something to talk about,a story to tell you"

No. 05 - Still Take You Home 






Another big start in this one. A lot of truth in this song. It's about knowing someones fit but thick, and you wanting to fuck them anyway. 

Favourite lyrics (big one): "I fancy you with a passion, you're a Topshop princess, a rockstar too, but you're a fad, you're a fashion, and I'm having a job trying to talk to you, but it's alright, yeah, I'll put it on one side, 'Cause everybody's looking, you've got control of everyone's eyes, including mine"



No. 04 - Do I Wanna Know



One of the Monkeys latest tunes, this is an exploration of post break up regret. Lyrics are solid, that moody bassline is even better. Live at Finsbury Park this song was incredible. 

Favourite lyrics: "I'm sorry to interrupt. It's just I'm constantly on the cusp of trying to kiss you I don't know if you feel the same as I do"

No.03 - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor



The first Arctic Monkeys song I ever heard. Distinctly remember walking into Topman in Reading, hearing this and seeing this shitty VHS like music video and having a full frontal eargasm. Everything about this song is just ideal. Every house party for about 4 years after played this song and you can understand why.

Favourite lyrics: "Your name isn't Rio, but I don't care for sand and lighting, the fuse might result in a bang with a bang-go"

No. 02 - Brianstorm



The single most frenetic, uptempo Arctic Monkeys song. The symbols and guitar are on one from the start and Alex Turners fast paced delivery only accentuate this. Love the ending as well, just when you think it's done with you it jumps on you one more time.

Favourite lyrics: "Cause we can't take our eyes off the t-shirt and ties combination, well see you later, innovator"

No. 01 - Certain Romance



I felt an affinity with this song the moment I heard it. The twangy, almost sorrowful guitar sets a sombre scene. For me it's a song that really reminds me of my youth, I think that's probably why I like it so much. It's also about hardships in life and how your friends get you through them. Masterful.

Favourite lyrics: "And just cause he's had a couple of cans, he thinks it's alright to act like a dickhead"

I wanna know what you guys think too, what are your favourite Arctic Monkeys songs? Have I fucked this list up entirely or am I close. Either way. you've gotta love the boys from Sheffield.

Written by Ryan Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment